A man who lured a child to a house in Blackburn before sexually assaulting her has been jailed.
On 23rd April 2023, John McDonald lured a 14-year-old girl into his bedroom before going onto sexually assault her.
After McDonald had committed the offence at the property in Blackburn, the brave victim went downstairs and woke her sleeping father to tell him what McDonald had done.
The police were then informed, and McDonald was arrested.
Following consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service, McDonald, of Gibson Street, Kilmarnock, was charged with engaging in sexual activity with a child.
McDonald was unanimously found guilty of the offence following a trial at Preston Crown Court earlier this month.
He returned to the same court today (27th November) where he was jailed for four years. He was also made subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention order for 15 years and ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register.
In an impact statement to the court, the victim said: “Since the assault, I have lived with fear, anxiety, and a loss of trust. Simple things that once felt safe now feel threatening. I struggle with sleep, with relationships, and with feeling comfortable in my own body. The emotional pain is constant, and it has affected every part of my daily life.
“This crime has taken away my sense of security and dignity. It has left me with memories I cannot erase and burdens I did not choose. I have had to rebuild myself piece by piece, and that process is ongoing.
“I want the court to understand that the harm done to me is lasting. Justice is not only about punishment—it is about recognising the seriousness of what happened and ensuring accountability. I ask the court to consider the profound impact this crime has had on me when deciding the sentence.
“Thank you for listening to my voice today.”
DC Matt Gallagher, from Lancashire Police, said: “McDonald lured his child victim to his bedroom with the sordid intent of sexually assaulting her. He knew how young she was but simply didn’t care.
“He then set about lying to cover his tracks. He lied to the victim’s father, he lied to the police and he lied to the jury. Presented with the victim’s brave testimony and DNA evidence, the jury rightly saw through McDonald’s lies. I am pleased he has now he has been sent to prison for what he did.”

Man found guilty of the manslaughter of Kirk Marsden in Blackburn
Family pays tribute to 'truly special' Accrington man who died in M65 collision
Burnley predator jailed for sexually assaulting young girls
Memories and mixed emotions as Pendle Rise shopping centre closes for demolition
Accrington park project progresses
Two men jailed after assaulting man and stealing his bank cards and phone in Burnley
Pedestrian dies after being hit by two cars on M65
Clitheroe food festival could be extended with Sunday event under different organisers


